Saturday

Hurricane Disasters - a Pre-Post

Hurricanes of late, although quite devastating, I will admit haven't been on top of my list. Something about mental destruction that I can't assist which just turns me off to the whole subject. I'm not there. I can't heal. I shouldn't even bother myself with it. But, there are a few that are intelligent enough to realize financial help is on its way, but the minds have not been tended to. These victims are starving in so many more ways than is realized.

They have no home.

They have no job to go to.

They have lost everything recognizable. In most cases, even family members and close friends.

I remember way back in 1992 when Hurricane Andrew struck. I wasn't in the direct path, and quite luckily our home was spared, but I could feel the heartache of every last person that lost everything. I wish we could simply do away with hurricanes and natural disasters - but they are a part of our lives, and they take apart our lives.

Or do they?

Bicamereal man - yes this is ancient history - didn't care about losing everything. They knew that it would simply take a few hours to rebuild their straw huts, put a fire together, and go out hunting again. 'Things' did not matter to them. It is with this simplicity that we can overcome such disasters.

Life as it was is not to be placed upon a pedastal. 'Things' do not matter. I have lived in poverty my entire life, debt enshrouds me, but when I wake up every morning, I have a smile on my face. I have food. I have water. I have life. This is all that matters.

New Orleans is Lost! - oh big deal.

Sure it was a major landmark in American history. Sure it housed hundreds of thousands of people. But it was also a crime capitol, next to Las Vegas. It is also a 'thing', an ideal, an attachment. Does America really need New Orleans just as it was? Rebuilding is not the answer. We need to demolish it altogether and start over from scratch. Call it Orleans. Re-inhabit Orleans just as we would any other city, gradually, over time, and intelligently.

This is not an end. This is a beginning. Hurricane Katrina did away with a major problem, and it is time we capitalize on it.

2 comments:

One of The Wildwomen said...

I ran across your blog on the eye of the storm blog. I have watched their blog since their first post,as I have family in Biloxi, lost their jobs, but house is safe, is that a good thing? I'm not so sure. It has been an amazing ride! Your blog is interesting as well, it's kind of nice to wrap your mind around something other than the hurricane for a minute. Thanks

Miche said...

No problem =) And thanks for visiting Reader Number 6 =)